Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Pour me another...

Before I begin discussing wine (not whine), I must first apologize for my constant bungling of the word "recycled." My right ring finger keeps wanting to add an extra "l" between the "y" and "c." Even when I proof the post, I don't always catch it. I think it's a sign!

Okay, now on to fun stuff... WINE. And, not just any wine- organic wine. What, you say? Has Napa gone mad? Why, I just love drinking in those pesticides with my pressed grapes?! Hah to you. Even winemaking has gone green. (Well, actually, organic winemaking is how wine is supposed to be made. People have been doing it for over 6,000 years.)

On European, Australian and New Zealand bottles (and even some American) , you might see the word "biodynamic" and not "organic," but don't worry. The concepts are similar.

Biodynamic wines are created using techniques developed by Austrian anthroposophist (say that three times fast) Rudolph Steiner. "They incorporate homeopathic treatments, as well as astronomical and astrological considerations, into the organic process." (source: www.organicwinejournal.com) I'm already intrigued.

Organic wines, as certified by government agencies, are created without the use of added sulfites. Some wineries take their organic winemaking one step further and choose to use alternative energy sources and remove chemical treatments from the process - they are referred to as "sustainable."

So...

ModernEcoMom idea: try organic wines

Why not try a delicious organic wine this weekend?

Here are a few suggestions:

Ponzi Vineyards - Pinot Gris, 2006, Willamette Valley, Oregon - $19.00
Ceago - Cabernet, 2006, Mendocino, California - $32.00 (Their Sauvignon Blanc, 2006, is $18.00.)

Or, you can review (and order from) a well-regarded importer, Organic Vintners. They can supply you with organic, vegan or biodynamic delights (go to http://www.organicvintners.com/ for more info). However, you're going to pay more, and risk complicating your new focus on cutting down CO2 emissions from purchasing wines that need to be shipped great distances.

In any event, I want you to raise a glass (of organic wine!) to yourself, you Modern Eco Mom you, for taking better care of this planet.

Sources:

www.organicwinejournal.com
www.organicvintners.com

No comments: