Monday, May 21, 2007

Not for the idle...go mom go, stop mom stop

Well, I was down for the count yesterday. My old (clearly not modern) back went out as I reached down to pick up my 2-year old for a hug. Dropped to my knees as if Ali had KO'd me in the 12th round.


I tried to make the most of my "down time" (read: doing nothing but lying on the floor of my bedroom for the remainder of the day staring at the ceiling - which, by the way, needs to be painted) by trying to prioritize the next few blogs. I figured that we should talk about cars a bit, since they are one of the most detrimental sources of greenhouse gas emissions for individuals. And, as moms, a lot of us spend a lot of our days driving around and around and around.



ModernEcoMom idea: roll down the windows


Thanks to my nephew, J, I am including this simple, yet smart, idea. It's a no-brainer. When you're in your car and the weather is nice, turn off the A/C and roll down your windows. Without getting into specifics, this idea really does save gas. But, there is a caveat - when you're doing 45 mph or more (in the appropriate speed zones), roll up your windows as the drag created by the wind forces your car to work harder and negates the gas savings.



ModernEcoMom idea: stop idling


You know how you're waiting in line at school (in your car) for drop-off or pick-up. Maybe you get there early. Maybe you get there on time. Doesn't matter. There is typically a huge line with all the moms, dads and caregivers just running their engines while going nowhere. This is a real waste of energy.


To quantify, let's look at the numbers. The average US citizen produces 19.6 tons of CO2 emission per year. If you reduce your daily idling by 10 minutes, you can save 550 pounds of CO2 per year!


Now, just think what would happen if you helped your child's school institute a no-idling policy (uh oh, the activist that I didn't think was in me is now rearing her head!). Do the math, and you will see savings of thousands upon thousands of pounds of CO2. Yippee.


But, you do it first. Next time you do carpool, find a parking spot and walk the kids into school. It is more eco-friendly to start and stop your engine in these circumstances.


But, just remember that it's safe (and the LAW) to idle at a red light and stop sign!


Definition: So, what's a hybrid vehicle


I am fascinated by my girlfriend's Prius - the most popular of hybrids. It is cute (well, not convertible cute; rather funky cute) and super roomy. If it had 3 rows, it would be my next car.

I had no idea what makes a hybrid so special, so I started doing some research. Turns out, a hybrid vehicle is one that uses two or more different fuel or power sources. Most likely when you hear the word "hybrid," it is referring to a hybrid-electric vehicle, one that includes an electric motor (powered by batteries) and an internal combustion engine (requiring petroleum).

Some hybrids are classified as SULEVs (or, Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles) like Toyota's Prius. According to the manufacturer, the 2003 (and newer model Prius) produces 89% fewer smog-forming emissions that the average new car. And, the EPA estimates a combined city/highway fuel economy at 48 mpg. Even better, the third generation Prius (to be released in late 2008/09) may break the 70 mpg record!

Go to www.fueleconomy.gov for great information and side-by-side comparisons.

For the record, this is obviously one of those HUGELY expensive eco-friendly options, and I'm not about to sit here and tell you to switch to hybrids. However, it is absolutely worth your time to evaluate them when choosing a new car. (Plus, there are tax credits to be gained and even some special HOV lanes created for hybrid drivers.)

That's all for today. Hope this helps!

Resources cited:

www.fueleconomy.gov


No comments: