Thursday, November 29, 2007

To wrap or not to wrap...

It's that time of the year again (where did 2007 go?) -- you know what I'm talking about. It's the time when we consume way too much food, buy way too many presents and create way too much trash. All in all, it's a crazy several weeks, and I'm already feeling stuffed.

To be honest, I'm struggling a bit this year with my holiday planning. I don't want to overspend, but I also don't want to disappoint. (I know, I know. The two are not mutually exclusive.) I want everyone to feel joy when they receive gifts from us. But, there is so much excess that occurs during this time of year. How can I be true to my sense of the holiday spirit and yet be environmentally and socially aware and not feel like a scrooge?

What's a modern eco mom to do?

Well, for starters, this mem is first going to work on her addiction to wrapping paper and greeting cards. (of course, that's "addiction" in it's most banal sense. I do not need an intervention... yet.) I mean, who doesn't love sending (or receiving) gifts wrapped in fabulously well-thought-out, designer-looking, handmade-looking paper with ribbons galore and a hilariously perfect card that it took a 1/2 hour to pick out taped on top? C'mon. You know it's cool when someone you know took that extra time to cover your amazing new gift with beautiful wrap and bow.

This year, I'm going wrap- and tissue paper-free. Wow. Just writing that took a lot of effort and created a bit of anxiety! I'm also going battery-free, plastic-free and will try my darndest to go drive-to-store-free for all purchases. Whew! I know these are lofty goals, but I have to start somewhere. Ooh. I almost forgot. I'm also going to try to go Hallmark card-free.

Going wrapping paper-free is going to be a lot easier than it seems, I think, and there are a few ways to do it. I can just skip any gift covering entirely (even foregoing newspaper comics, old shopping bags, etc.) or use recycled gift bags that will hopefully be re-gifted (so to speak).

Skipping the plastic, beeping toys shouldn't be too horrible. I know my kids will be a bit sad, but in the end, they will be happy we're all doing this. I'm not planning on surprising them with my new holiday strategy. They will be fully informed from the get-go.

In addition, we're starting a new tradition in our home. We decided that the kids are going to pick out an organization they would like to help, and we're going to donate somehow to that org - money, goods, food, whatever we all choose. Tonight, I asked my 6-year old what he loves, and besides the Padres and Chargers, he said food. So, we'll be donating money and canned goods to a local food pantry. My 3-year old loves dogs, so we're going to provide blankets, $ and other items to a local shelter. C'est magnifique. The true spirit of the holiday season. My kids may not fully understand why some people and animals need help, but by having the discussion at their young age, I hope that they will grow up to be responsible, giving and sharing adults.

The changes I make for the holiday season are going to have an impact throughout the year. Birthday gifts, anniversary gifts, you name it. This is a life change!!

Good luck and good happiness to all of you!

FYI - I'm going to tackle the dreadful Sally Foster wrapping paper school fundraisers at another date.

No comments: